Feb 2012 Assoc Web Site Message Traffic

| Home | Mail Room |



120229 - KC-13558-0126
120224 - 95th for 95th

120209 -  Beer... Pizzo


From: thegunfighter@cox.net
Date: Wed. Feb 29, 2012
Always great to hear from another member of the “Fightin’ Fifty Fifth”. I read your submission on the RB-47 gear-up landing at Guam and compliment you on the details. Last I  hear, Marv was in retirement home in Papillion and remains there as I have seen nothing in the obit columns. I knew the crew very well as I had been in the 55th and 343rd since August 1955, serving TDY’s at Yokota, (56), Thule (57), Incirlik (Dec 58-May 59), Incirlik again in 61, Brize (62), Eielson (63) and finally Yokota, Incirlik and Yokota again all in 64. This was prior to departing PCS in April 65 for Eielson and the new RC-135D program (Project Office Boy).
You will note our TDY to Brize in 62 which is the time frame to which you refer to on the “bent wing KC-135” incident. Quite honestly I had forgotten it until now. Unfortunately I do not remember the tail number and I am quite familiar with 58-0126 as I had flown a special CIA project in the airplane from Offutt in 1968-69, however the bent-wing incident never was discussed, which leads me to believe another airplane was involved. I will pursue this with another retired AF buddy, Colonel Roger Craig, who worked at the USAF  Safety Center prior to his retirement and may be able to assist us.
Again, good to hear from you. I have nothing but the fondest memories of my comrades in the 55th. Too many stories to tell, most of which are true and many of which, if we did them today, would see us standing before a General Court Martial!
From: James E Diamond [mailto:imjackd@gmail.com
Sent: Wednesday, February 29, 2012 4:33 PM
To: thegunfighter@cox.net
Subject: KC-135 58-0126
I am trying to track down a story that I recall about a KC-135 while at Brize Norton around 1962 or 63 that took off with the CP on the controls, the DG malfunctioned and the plane nearly crashed due to a stall when the AC made the recovery. The wings were overstressed and it made a wrinkle in the leading edge of each wing about where #2 and # 3 engines were. An OCAMA team came to Brize and made a temporary fix to get it back to the US for full repair. My reasoning in contacting you about this is in contacting a person who was on the accident board seems to recall it was a KC-135 out of Lockbourne AFB. I am thinking it could it have been out of the 55th by chance? I am Pretty sure the tail number was 58-0126. About 6-7 years later when I was then stationed at Offutt and was in the 55th. I recall seeing the same aircraft parked on the RC side of the ramp and  it then had the extended nose radome, It would fly a couple missions and then depart. 
What brought this to my memory was I have just completed a story about the RB-47 that landed on Guam with the gear up and published the story on the B-47.com Internet Site that I maintain. I recently received an e-mail from Jim Maloney that he wanted to put that story on the 55th site in the memories section as well. So as being a former 55th FMS Flight Line Controller I thought I would catch up on Jim's site. While there I saw your recent e-mail mentioning Marv Carcich. The Crew Chief on that RB-47H flight and I have been in contact back and forth for a while, and he told me he thought Marv had passed away.
Thanks,   Jim Diamond     www.b-47.com    

from: Paulson, Eric C LtCol USAF ACC 95 RS/CC eric.paulson@mildenhall.af.mil

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Save the Date!

20 Aug 2012 marks the 95th Birthday of the 95th.  The 95th Reconnaissance Squadron will be hosting events August 17 through 19 to celebrate the occasion.  Details and E-invitations with RSVPs will be out soon but planning on, over the three days,  golf, a formal dinner with guest speakers and presentations, and a BBQ .

I’m sure I’ve inadvertently left someone off the list so please forward to those that may be interested.  If you do pass this along, please copy Capt Phillips (cc’ed) and myself so updates/formal invitations get to the right people.  55th and 100th leadership has been informed via hard-copy.

Thank you and hope to see you in Aug!





Commander, 95th Reconnaissance Sqdn

DSN 314-238-2733

STE 314-238-3355

From: Sam Pizzo
Sent: Thursday, February 9, 2012 10:36 AM
To: Herbert E.Williams III, Don Griffin, Ken Bryan, Tom & Celia Reed
Subject: Re: BEER Carrying Spitfires
As a follow on to your story re the beer loving Brits..
          In 1944 I was stationed at a Bomber base right south of Foggia Italy and on that large area of flat land area, there was scads of every imaginable ALLIED aircraft located there from fighters to bombers. We had three Bomb Groups on our field alone, 2 B17s and one South African B-24 outfit.
          The SA troops loved their beer but could not get much of it, but they DID get tons of Scotch. which we could NOT get. We on the other hand had tons of beer ration cards which for some reason or so, were never punched, ie. we had an unlimited beer supply- but no Scotch. Ergo many trips to their O club and they made many trips to our club and we swapped goodies, their Scotch for our beer cards.
          On one of their visits I was asked if I would like to go with them when they flew home to South Africa to bring home personnel and pick up replacements. I got a 15 leave and away we went, me sitting on a board in the bomb bay of a B 24. Great ride...ugh.
We landed at Cairo for an overnight stop and for some reason or other ( probably the thought of riding on that board the length of Africa ) I stayed at the RAF station out by the Sphinx for a couple of days rather than going further. Their O Club veranda had a canvas cover and when sitting on it in the late afternoon with the sun shining behind those Sphinx it was a truly beautiful view that is until the Brits did me in with a multitude of Scotch drinks. Those RAF guys had no set rules of when to start the drinking time of day, and by 4 pm or so for 2 days I was carried back to my tent, dumped on a canvas cot where the flies had a field day biting me and getting a buzz on.
          After two days, much I do not remember, I then headed for Cairo where I checked into the Sheppard's Hotel. A very old historical hotel most famous for the many Officers and Notables who visited Cairo before, during and after the war. Sadly it was burned down when the Egyptians struggled to be free from the British rule.
          At any rate I stayed there, and simply ran out of money. I found an American Express Office right near the Hotel and met with this very kind elderly gent and told him my tale of woe. He simply asked if I had a bank account back in the States, which I did, gave him my account number, and he gave me 100 bucks and, I don't have the foggiest idea how he did it, but he got the money from my bank and I was a happy camper.
          The SA crew showed up on time and we headed back to the war. Incidently when I returned to the RAF Cairo base, I was told that those dastardly Brits had made up a pool as to what time of day and how many drinks it would take before they hauled the Yank back to his tent !
          As a follow up to this story, when I returned from the war, I really caught heck from Mary as she thought I was DEPOSITING the money not withdrawing it.
Women have no sympathy on certain issues.
Ah those great memories.